Monday, January 19, 2009

Today's totally unbalanced menu

First off, my husband does not voluntarily eat anything that he can recognize as a plant unless it is deep fried. Second, I do not deep fry. Third, I've tried the Angel Food program and although it is a lot of food for the money, it too often is food that I can't get my family to eat. Don't get me wrong -- there's nothing wrong with the quality. It's just that the chicken is too spicy for my kids to eat without complaining that their mouths are burning. Then there are just some foods that I'm not used to cooking so they don't make it into the routine menus at our house. So I end up with a surplus of some foods stocking my freezer.

So I pulled some of the sausage (English style and Italian) and put it in my fridge a few days ago and am cooking them today. The Italian I put together with whole grain penne & sauce to bake and then I will top it with a bit of cheese when I reheat it. I had half of a loaf of bread so I made the french toast casserole that I tried over the winter break : http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/French-Toast-Casserole/Detail.aspx?src=etaf My kids and my husband ate it so it's a keeper. That will be paired up with the honey (English style) sausages and fruit for brunch when they all wake up. I still had room in the oven, so I wanted a recipe that would cook at about the same temperature and use up some eggs, so I made a pan of Ghiadelli double chocolate brownies for my husband. He doesn't have to share, because there's still birthday cake left.

Brunch: french toast casserole, sausage, fruit, juice/milk

Dinner: Penne & sausage bake, garlic bread, salad for those who will eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment